I am not the first to talk about this, and actually, it may appear I’m late to the party, but I’ve been focused on being helpful, and I’ve been so serious lately, that I’ve forgotten to explore some of the other things that intrigue me. Case in point, the upcoming release of the new game in the Dragon Age series, Inquisition. Due October 7, 2014.
I am so excited! For those of you who don’t know this about me yet, I am obsessed with Dragon Age. Thank you, David Gaider, creator of this fantastic world! The original game, Origins, was the most fun I’ve had playing a game in a while, and I unabashedly admit to playing it through three times (as each different class, and every time I romanced the same character because I cannot be mean to him or refuse him, I’ve tried, but I always feel badly about it, to which my sister openly mocks me).
For those of you unfamiliar with the game, here are a few reasons why I love it –
- It takes place in a magical medieval land
- There are wonderful backstories and character development, and it takes time and effort to build relationships
- There is wonderful dialogue, comedic side comments during gameplay, and multiple options for romance
- The game encompasses issues regarding race, religion, and politics
- You become part of a group known as the Grey Wardens, a legendary order of warriors/guardians, and due to actions within the game are one of two left in the land, and the only hope of defeating the impending threat of a demonic-type horde
- There are multiple threats and obstacles to overcome
- The events in this game can be uploaded to DA2 which then shapes some of the events in that world, and then those will affect the third.
- And for a writer, all of the intricacies are a great lesson in story, character development, and world building
And this is what this obsession has done to me – For Christmas, my sister bought me the wonderful and comprehensive compendium. I have been inspired to write fan fiction. I have played with the idea of getting a DA inspired tattoo (I don’t have any). I have bought music from the soundtracks. I have read books based on the game. I have looked for jobs at Bioware. There was a contest to have your voice included in the new game, and I was preparing for it, then went out of town and missed the deadline. There was some anger for a few days. I’m still angry. I have looked and will eventually buy some memorabilia, i.e. a sword, tee-shirt, what-have-you, when I’m not broke. I want to buy a PC (I use Apple) just so I can create mods (extra scenes with new dialogue, special armor, etc. that can then be inserted into the game) for the PC version of the game, which then requires I re-buy the game for PC. I have an entire folder on my computer dedicated to DA artwork.
I can’t draw, and I am amazed by the talent on DeviantArt and their interpretations and styles. The first two images are Alistair, the Grey Warden and travel companion my character romanced every time (and a female Warden). The second two are Fenris from DA 2, who is a broody elf (with reason) whom my character also romanced. I love these! And am thankful to all the artists.
So here’s a little forewarning as to why I might be MIA come October. 🙂 And thank you for letting me get that off my chest.
Have a great week!