Yikes! It’s official, and this will be the one and only time I admit it…I’m 40. Again I say, yikes! I have that scene from Friends where Joey is crying about everyone getting older, “Why God? Why?” playing over and over in my head.
I haven’t been looking forward to it, and I’m not “depressed” exactly, but I’m not that pleased about it either. And it’s not like I didn’t know it was coming…there’s no stopping time. I suppose the birthday present Mother Nature decided to bestow upon me this morning in the form of a pimple in the middle of my forehead is a good reminder that age really is just a number…Thanks, lady. 😛
I came downstairs this morning to quite the sight – the entire house is decorated in princess decor. There are metallic colored swirly streamers hanging from the ceiling along with those fan-like circular ones. There are streamers wrapped around the bannister, around the doors, and even a princess chandelier hanging from the ceiling fan…it’s perfect. Oh, and I have more presents waiting for me than I’ve had since I was a kid, and The Sis is making me a black forest cake which I had for my 1st birthday…it’s turning out to be quite the day!
I have a friend, who for her 40th did something different everyday for 40 days, but I don’t have that sort of commitment. I decided to do something that coincides with my age, and how it does ring true that you get more comfortable with yourself with age. So, I present to you “40 random & true things” about me, in (sort of) chronological order:
- According to my mother, I was the first girl born to my father’s family in 90 years. He was English (so I suppose it’s in my DNA) and gave me two middle names.
- I was born in Canada.
- Evidently I was a born swimmer, jumping into the pool when I was about 2 with no floaties and no lessons. I’ve been swimming ever since. I love the water.
- I once missed the bus because I forgot my pink elephant, Pinky, for Show-and-Tell. I still have it.
- I’m still friends with a girl I met in kindergarten.
- I used to sleepwalk occasionally as a child.
- I had (still kind of do have) a fascination with fire, and was caught on occasion playing with it – like burning the back of the seat of my stepfather’s car. Oh yeah.
- I did not like ketchup until recently, but would eat tomatoes.
- I used to have the horrible habit of rolling my eyes…at everything and once fought with my third grade teacher about the date. I argued that the calendar must be wrong. Wow.
- I had hair that hung nearly mid-thigh and often pretended to be Madison from Splash – my hair was always green during the summer months.
- The first boy I ever had a crush on was named Tommy, but I also thought Kenny Rogers was a “fox”. So there’s that.
- Tom Jones brought me on stage once and sang to me. I still have the album he signed for me.
- I was in fifth grade when we watched the unfortunate events of the Challenger Space Shuttle take off, and I can still remember it clearly.
- I had my bike stolen in fifth grade from outside my house and I got in trouble for it. I wrote my first “novel” about running away from home because my stepfather was a jerk about it.
- The book about running away was a school project; we were given a blank hardback book and that was what inspired me to be a writer – the book, not the story. 🙂
- I was a ballerina for 16 years.
- I once tried out for cheerleading, but quickly realized it was not for me. I joined the volleyball team instead, and regularly hated the cheerleaders’ perpetual perkiness.
- I was the third tallest kid in jr. high behind two boys, Conrad and Dean.
- I topped out at 6 feet tall by the time I was 18.
- I had to wear guy’s jeans until I was almost 20 because they were the only pants that had inseam length. I still have a problem finding clothes that are the right length; my sleeves are always too short, and pants a little high water.
- I met my best friend, Jill when we were 14 at a church youth group camp. We thought we’d be pastors’ wives…oh how the times have changed.
- My mother entered me in a beauty pageant at 15. I didn’t crack the top 10.
- I did modeling in my teens and was told by a photographer to lose 10 lbs. I was 5’10” and 125 lbs at the time. I quit modeling shortly thereafter.
- I sang in my junior high and high school choirs.
- I’ve always had very long hair and when I was 15, I rode a go-cart without a cover on the engine. My unbound hair whipped in, and I lost nearly half the hair on the left side of my head. I ended up cutting off about 3 feet of hair to get rid of the burnt, mangled bits.
- I had my first kiss at 16 with my best friend at the time, Eric. He thought we should lose our virginities together.
- I didn’t lose my virginity until I was 29 and planned on writing a screenplay about it; the 40-Year Old Virgin beat me to it. I had a friend who suggested I sell “it” to the highest bidder, like a geisha and at least make a profit.
- I played volleyball for years, despite not getting my varsity letter my junior year because I went on a French Club trip to see The Phantom of the Opera that coincided with state finals. I didn’t play my senior year out of spite – still so stubborn.
- I did not go to my Senior Prom. The boy I liked thought I was going with someone else and didn’t ask. At our 10 year reunion he apologized. 🙂
- I considered being a showgirl, but was told I was too nice for the business.
- I was 19 when I discovered England was “home”, and the love affair began. I’ve only been back once since. Maybe that’s why no place feels like home?!
- My brother and I thought about opening up a tea shop, and while in research mode, snuck into a tea convention. Such a rebel.
- Titanic was the first movie I ever saw alone.
- I went back to college after a 5 year hiatus and graduated 2 months shy of my 30th birthday.
- I’ve been a vegetarian for 8 years. It was then that I discovered I’m lactose intolerant, but I’m never giving up cheese or ice cream!
- I haven’t been on a date in 5 years, as I swore off men until I got my career off the ground. I’m willing to lift the ban for the one who “gets me”.
- I hate horror movies and country music.
- I have almost every ticket from every movie I’ve ever seen at the theater.
- I don’t like drugs because of the loss of control. I’m a bit of a control freak. I’ve “smoked” like 3 times and did shrooms once. It caused me to react with this weird hysterical laugh/cry thing that I did not care for.
- Inevitably, no matter where I work, I get the nickname Princess. The Sis says it’s because it’s obvious. My muse –
Goodness, that’s quite the list and reflection on my life.
Thank you all for being a part of the journey!